desserts have been delivered
how this works…
You email us over at craigskitchen at gmail dot com saying you want to be on the dessert corps list
You get emails (weekly or bi-weekly)…
You reply to an email with the dates you are available to bake…
You get a reminder email the Friday before the Wednesday meal you are baking…
You bake up a storm in your kitchen…
You drop off dessert Tues PM/Wed AM in Greenpoint or Williamsburg locations…
Greenpoint Soup Kitchen diners enjoy a delicious homemade dessert!!!
- wed feb 22. 2 doz cookies. Your choice of cookie type.
- wed feb 29. 1 doz Chocolate Brownie squares (medium size)
- wed mar 07 1 doz Lemon Bars (medium size)
- wed mar 14 1 Chocolate Pie (8-10 slices)
- wed mar 21 2 doz Cream Puffs
- wed mar 28 1 Cake- Your choice of flavor (8-10 slices)
- wed apr 04. 2 doz whoopie pies (medium size)
- wed apr 11 1 Pumpkin & Chocolate Chip Loaf (8-10 slices)
- wed apr 18 1 doz White Chocolate Cheesecake Bars or Blondies
- wed apr 25 1 doz Cupcakes
Spread the word to all your baking friends in the neighborhood.
Thanks for your support
–the cooks in the kitchen
Posted in Dessert Corps | Leave a Comment »
It is bitter cold outside on the strets of Greenpoint & Williamsburg. Once a week, there is an amazing meal put together by volunteers, served with love and nutrition in mind. Each week about 10 volunteers from the neighborhood bake up a sweet treat in their home kitchens and bring it to the soup kitchen to be served.
Sign up to bake by sending an email to email@example.com.
- Wed Dec 29. New Years Cake (any type of holiday cake you love to bake!)
- Wed Jan 5. Bread Pudding
- Wed Jan 12. Apple Pie or Apple Cake
- Wed Jan 19. Babka, Cinnamon rolls, or Cinnamon Cake
- Wed Jan 26. Brownies or Blondies or your fave “bar” creation!
- Wed Feb 2. Pound Cake or Angels Food Cake (we will top it w/ this yummy plum & peach sauce we made over the summer and canned for a cold winters day…) Need 4 bakers
- Wed Feb 9. Pineapple Upside Down Cake or Apple Upside Down Cake Need 5 bakers
- Wed Feb 16. Valentines Cupcakes! Need 0 bakers!
- Wed Feb 23. Carrot Cake Need 3 bakers
Once you have rsvp-ed, we will put you on our master list. The weekend before the meal, we will send you a reminder email with the drop-off logistics.
There are a lot of opportunities to volunteer at the soup kitchen in the upcoming year, either at fundraisers or at the weekly meal or on weekend workdays. Join our volunteer mailing list to keep updated…
Thanks for your support of this project; Nothing beats a homemade dessert!
Posted in Dessert Corps, Greenpoint Soup Kitchen | Tagged Dessert Corps, volunteer baker | Leave a Comment »
Brownies, Blondies, & Fruit Bars @ the Sept 1st meal
As Fall rolls along and the season starts to shift to cooler days, the meals are getting heartier as we celebrate our local bounty with menus rooted in beets, turnips, squash, and potatoes. At the soup kitchen, we are harvesting the final vegetables from our garden and relishing the final month of fresh produce donated by our neighborhood CSAs and local gardeners. In the dessert corps, we are looking forward to this Fall and filling the kitchen with holiday treats and seasonal glories. Cheers to apples, pumpkins, butter & sugar!
Blackberry Buckle. July 2010.
One of the highlights of our weekly meal is the homemade desserts. They always make our meal complete. To be a volunteer baker, email firstname.lastname@example.org. Send us the dates you can bake. We will confirm and send you a reminder email the weekend before the Wednesday Meal in which you are participating. If you cannot drop off at the Greenpoint Soup Kitchen before 6pm on Wednesdays, there are drop offs in Greenpoint & Williamsburg on Tuesday & Wed morning. The logistics of it all are pretty easy…
Check out the baking calendar below and email us with the dates you can be a volunteer baker:
- Oct 13: Apple/Plum Bars, Brownies, or Blondies.
- Oct 20: Apple Pie.
- Oct 27: Whoopie Pies.
- Nov 3: Apple Cake.
- Nov 10: Seasonal Cupcakes.
- Nov 17: Carrot Cake or Cheesecake Bars.
- Nov 24: Pumpkin Pie or Pumpkin Cake.
- Dec 1: Apple, Chocolate, or Pecan Pies.
- Dec 8: Couple Dozen of Holiday Cookies. Need 0 bakers.
- Dec 15: Chocolate Cheesecake Candy Cane Bars, Candy Cane Cake, or Crushed Peppermint Cheesecake. Need 2 bakers.
- Dec 22: Holiday Pies. Need 1 baker.
We are also looking for more volunteers to help prep, serve, & clean up @ the Wednesday meals. Prep shifts run from 3-6pm. Serving shifts run from 530-730pm, and clean-up shifs run from 7-830pm. Even if you can only help for an hour or so a month, we would really appreciate your helping hands. Email email@example.com for more info.
Aug 25th: Peaches & Mint, Sauteed Summer Squash, and Green Beans & Corn Salad
Always need more volunteers for the clean-up shift. 7-830pm.
Posted in Dessert Corps | Tagged blondie, brownie, fruit bars | 2 Comments »
lil' volunteers watering the soup kitchen garden
It has been a few busy months @ the soup kitchen. We planted and tended a garden, which doubled in size from last year. Big thanks to the compost donation from Kate Zidar & the North Brooklyn Compost Project. Our plants are seriously thriving in the worm-ladden, black gold they gave us! Also, super props to all the local gardeners who sprouted seeds and donated plants–vegetables, trees, & flowers– for this year’s garden. The harvest has just begun but it has been a fruitful start; herbs from the garden have been amazing and the cucumber plants have been producing enough for lots of salads, pickles, and soups. We are looking forward to harvesting the tomatoes, jalapenos, radishes, fennel, celery, carrots and various herbs until the cool days of October set in. We have a great lil compost baby that looks like it might be taking over the garden with a crop of pumpkins. If you would like to volunteer in the garden, join the facebook group to be plugged into work-days & watering schedules. [There will be a big workday in early November[ stay tuned for details]
Summer is a busy time at the kitchen and we are always looking for extra hands. On Wednesday the kitchen runs from 3pm-9pm & the Food Pantry prep runs from 5-9pm as well. Lend a hand in cooking, serving, cleaning, taking out the trash, mopping floors, unloading vegetables and making bags for the pantry. On Saturdays, volunteers meet at noon to unload vegetables and prep for the upcoming week’s meal. Gardening is also always on the agenda.
Dessert Corps is still running strong, bringing the sweet desserts even in the hot hot heat of the Summer. Email craigskitchen@gmail[dot]com if you can bake for any of the following meals.
- aug 18: zucchini cake or fruit pie. NEED 4 MORE VOLUNTEER BAKERS
- aug 25: brownies, blondies, or fruit bars. NEED 1 MORE VOLUNTEER BAKER
- sept 1: pound or angel’s food cake. NEED 6 MORE VOLUNTEER BAKERS
- sept 8: fruit buckle or coffee cake. NEED 6 MORE VOLUNTEER BAKERS
- sept 15: chocolate cake w/ fruit topping. NEED 6 MORE VOLUNTEER BAKERS
- sept 22: zucchini cake or fruit pie. NEED 6 MORE VOLUNTEER BAKERS
- sept 29: brownies, blondies or fruit bars. NEED 6 MORE VOLUNTEER BAKERS
We have a lot planned for the Fall in terms of fundraising $$ for food & supplies for the upcoming winter. Supper clubs, concerts, brunches, and more. Let us know if you would like to become more involved.
Posted in Greenpoint Soup Kitchen | Tagged Dessert Corps, garden, volunteers | 1 Comment »
Thanks to everyone who has been baking. It is a highlight of the meal…
If you would like to bake for any of the following meals or to get on our volunteer list, please email craigskitchen [at] gmail [dot] com
- April 14. Carrot Cake. Need 5 volunteers
- April 21. Apple Cake. Need 2 volunteers
- April 28. Brownies. Need 4 volunteers
- May 5. Cookies. Need 2 volunteers
- May 12. Zucchini Cake. Need 10 volunteers
- May 19. Chocolate Cake. Need 10 volunteers
- May 26. Apple Pie or Apple Cake. Need 10 volunteers
Also, we have A LOT of frozen blueberries. If you want to pick some up in order to create a delicious blueberry based dessert, give us a shout.
volunteer baking = we all eat (yeah) cake
pumpkin cheesecake brownies. march 2010
Posted in Dessert Corps | Tagged brownie, cake, calendar, Dessert Corps, pumpkin | Leave a Comment »
spring is about to bloom. backyard magnolia tree
The time change has brought about a great change at the soup kitchen. Milder temps and the magnolia tree’s buds are about to burst.
The backyard is coming to life, a community garden is formulating, and we are pushing through the last few months before the local harvest starts to roll in.
More helping hands are always welcome.
sides & salad. march 2010
We celebrated a very festive St Patrick’s meal thanks to an amazing corned beef donation to the church.
corned beef donation
HAPPY ST PATRICKS TO ALL THE VOLUNTEERS WHO MAKE THE MAGIC HAPPEN, TO ALL THE DONORS WHO MAKE IT POSSIBLE, TO EVERYONE WHO SHARES THE DREAM OF NO MORE HUNGER IN ALL OUR WORLD COMMUNITIES FROM ALL THE FOLKS YOU HELP FEED DOWN IN GREENPOINT
Posted in Dessert Corps, Greenpoint Soup Kitchen | Tagged backyard, volunteers | Leave a Comment »
Cupcakes from the "Valentines meal"
We are recruiting volunteer bakers for the following weeks; If you would like to bake, send us an email at craigskitchen [at] gmail [dot] com
- Feb 24. Apple Bars.
- Mar 3. Pumpkin Cheesecake Swirl Brownies.
- Mar 10. Fruit Buckles
- Buckle is a dessert which combines fruit, a rich cake batter, and a streusel topping. The result is a rich, dense cake with a moist crumb which is sometimes compared to a coffee cake.
- i have frozen fruit from over the summer. Hit me up if you want to use some.
- Mar 17. Blueberry Pie Bars
- i have frozen blueberries from over the summer. Hit me up if you want to pick up some.
- Need 7 volunteers
- Mar 24. Pound Cake or any other “plain” or “slightly fruited cakes” that the chefs can top with a yummy fruit sauce
- Mar 31: Whoopie Pies
Posted in Dessert Corps | Tagged calendar, Dessert Corps, volunteer baker | Leave a Comment »